NBA OPENING NIGHT LOOPER
Creative Director: Jordan Shorthouse
Art Director: Charlie Owens
3D Renders: Brian Kirchdoerfer
Client: Turner Sports
Created: 22 Oct 2019
Location: XBox Plaza at L.A. Live
A New Dawn As we enter into mid-October, a new sun rises for NBA season. I was tasked with with creating a set of stage background loopers for the AMEX Roadshow Opening night featuring the following sponsors: AMEX, Autotrader, KIA and the show itself. I was in charge of giving motion life into the still designs that have been prepared.
— The shorter the deadlines, the less risks you need to take
As edits and revisions were being requested down to the last hours before the background loopers went live, designs and animations cannot be vary too much. You never know what the client would want at last minute, hence it is good practice to devise animation loopers that can work across sponsors’ logo of varying sizes.
— Basketball seams lights
Here is quick breakdown of how I composite my logo animation scene with the basketball seams lights.
1. On each basketball seam, create a path onto a solid layer
2. Use Red Giant’s 3D Stroke as it allows for tapering of stroke
3. Render them out as luma mattes; and sequence these renders a loop animation
4. Recomposite them with a glow and blending mode ‘add’
5. Additionally, the luma mattes can be used to reveal the seams